Monday, June 18, 2012

The great escape

Mike enjoyed his celebratory breakfast in bed, along with a few thank-you-for-being-a-great-dad gifties. Then after a wonderful church service on Sunday morning, we had the whole afternoon to ourselves.

It was time to get out of Dodge.

Country back roads were calling

so we made a run for it - phones off -

I'm sorry - the party you were trying to reach...


...is unavailable. Not even Superman was going to deter us from our adventure. He collapsed to the lower right of the phone booth--hilariously random


While driving along, my husband slammed the brakes every time I yelled, "STOP!!" so I could photograph something. Which I thought was exceedingly patient and kind, it being Fathers' Day and all. And fortunately, the only other traffic we had to contend with was Amish horses and buggies.

Don't you love the teal and white? Wouldn't you love to meet the person who painted their old barn those colors? I would.

oh, dear. (In truth I thought, yum. I like venison.)

We did some rummaging at a favorite junk spot

I found an old hand-crank egg beater. It has a red wooden handle and the paint is worn and the wood smooth to the touch where years of hands have gripped it. The beaters make a satisfying whirrzzing sound when you crank it. The old tin is marvelous because it has the word "cake" on it (cake being right up there with 'edible glitter' among the most beautiful words in the English language). And a xylophone - EEEEEEP! I feel a "as seen on Pinterest" project coming on.

We also a found a retro chicken watering jar which we are re-purposing as a water source for our bees. It's kinda like a little pub for them to stop at after a long hard day of foraging before heading back to the hive to tackle their honey-do list (yuck, yuck) We also snagged (very cheaply, I might add) a large roll of chicken wire, which was a blessing since Mike has been wanting to build a fence to keep out the ground hog that has been decimating our veggie patch.

On the way home, we made a spontaneous howdy-do to some great friends. We love them dearly, and our five minute stops always turn into at least an hour and a half.

Billy and Joan, thanks for being so gracious about our impromptu visit. And thank you for the "walking onions" for our garden

and the bouquet of wild roses. You were the icing on a great day.

15 comments:

Kim said...

Oh I adore days like these! The bee pub is SWEET!!! So glad you were able to just bee....for the day :)

amy said...

yay! what an awesome day. love impromptu visits... seriously a favorite. maybe one day you will impromptu visit me :)

tamarahillmurphy.com said...

delightful! i especially love the egg beater. makes me think of my grandmother's and how much i loved the sound it made.

Anonymous said...

just sat down after one exhausting day and oohed at the teal and white barn,laughed aloud at the crackly phone sign followed by the keeled over deboothed Superman(Your eye to notice and Mike to keep pace!)who's imagery, beyond the comedy, is calling me to retrench.
Thank YOU for the visit, for Bronwyn's smile, for encouraging words, for the sheer look of joy on your faces that comes with living through things faithfully, honestly, humbly. Signature Mysterious timing. I called to the Lord and he heard my cry.
Joan<3

Amy said...

love it! Glad you had a fun adventure of a day, because reading this, I did too:) Teal highlights on a barn~yes I'd like to visit with those folks.

Southern Gal said...

Sounds like my kind of Sunday afternoon. I love the phone booth with Superman collapsed beside it!

Anonymous said...

can't wait to see what you do with the xylophone!- Dee

Leslie said...

Looks and sounds like a banner day. Except for Superman. He wasn't looking so good... (and YES! I would paint my barn those colors!)

Now i want to go driving down country roads with Amish buggies, and you... (but I still don't want to sit next to your bees.)

Jodi said...

Thanks, friends. I wish I could rent a giant van and take you all with me on a backroad adventure. Mike will drive, and we can all take turns shouting, "STOP!!"

Jodi said...

Dee, I can't wait to show you. Eep!

Kat said...

It all sounds perfect!

a soulful life said...

I love these pictures! Thank you for sharing your lovely day :)

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Such a great day! So glad Superman couldn't turn you from your purpose and your achieved so much happiness in so many ways!

Aqeela said...

I love this bits and bobs post, some very non-english things which is interesting and great photos too. Love photo 2 and the white / turquoise barn.

Thankyou for commenting on my recipe scrapbook post, it made me smile :-)

Aqeela xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Jodi,
Thank you all for visiting. It was great to see you after so long. I love impromptu visits from you always! You guys are the best.
Love, Mary

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails