Friday, March 29, 2013

That revolutionary morning

When we were much younger and more energetic, my husband and I would wake before dawn.  I'd make coffee, and he would pop on the album Songs of the Father.  We's sit together on the dining room floor, mugs in hand, and pray in Easter morning.  I'll never forget the sense of peace that would fill the room, and how it made you feel like a sponge, absorbing every bit of it.  It was changing us.  We could feel it.  

This is how we did Easter morning for a few years while the kids were babies. And then like most things, life changes, and our little pre-dawn ritual fell away.  

This morning I remembered that we had a box of albums from long ago stashed away in our garage.  I asked  Mike if he thought there was any chance that we still had the one we used to play on Easter morning twenty-some years ago.  Sure enough, we did!  We've been playing it all morning for our youngest daughter to hear.



It all came flooding back--memories of our budding faith.  It all came back, except the peace.  That has never left.    



Listening to the album, I wondered if my daughter would cringe at the kind of folksy, kum-by-ya sound of the recording that emanated from the record player.  So different from the slick, high-tech recording of today.  "Praise be to God for His blessings and His gifts, and the table that He sets with His hands".  "Oh, I like that," she said, humming along.  Times change, yet the truth and power of the words still carry through, still carry us.


"You have made us for Yourself, O Lord,
and our hearts are restless still,
Until they rest in You, O Lord,
Until they rest in You."

St. Augustine


26 comments:

Jen said...

Shivers as I read the lyrics. Such a great reminder than in this ever changing world, there is one thing. Yes, one thing that still stays the same...JESUS! Have a blessed Easter weekend.
~ Jen
http://richfaithrising.blogspot.com/

Jodi said...

Jen, And a happy Easter to you.

It's Just Dottie said...

Oh! So very special.
Hugs, Dottie

Val said...

How lovely....we are sending you fond thoughts and wishes..have a lovely Easter :0)

Kit said...

I love this story, Jodi! What a great tradition. I'm glad you found the record. And the peace passes all understanding...
Love to you and happy Resurrection Day, Mrs. Acorn!!!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Happy Easter, Jodi, to you and your family. I'm glad you found the old record and it brought back these warm memories. Maybe "folksy" will be back in style one of these days. But the message itself is always the best message of all and ageless! Blessings to you.

Jodi said...

Dottie ,hugs back.:)

Jodi said...

Val, send the same to you and yours, friend.

Jodi said...

Kit, Happy Resurrection day to you and your caboodle!

Jodi said...

Sara, Yes it is the best message ever. See you on the flip side. :)

Lucy@heart and hearth said...

Beautiful,I love that you had the records and your daughter liked them too...precious tradition to remember...

Leslie said...

What a lovely Easter story :)

Stephanie Ann said...

Happy Easter Jodi!

What a nice tradition, I'm glad you brought that back.

Deborah said...

This is beautiful Jody and to think that you would still have that same album! What a gift...and that you could share it with your daughter.
I too love alot of those old songs and hymns too.
Easter blessings to you and your family!

All my heart,
Deborah xo

Unknown said...

I don't know that album, but I have a deep affinity for Keith Green because it's what my parents listened to when I was a child. I play him still, much to my husband's chagrin. You see, he didn't grow up with that awesomeness. But even still, he makes me cry. I think I'll play him this Easter, in the morning with the kids who wake me up before dawn. Hugs to you, and Happy Easter!

Southern Gal said...

That's so special, Jodi. My children listen to Sandi Patty, Keith Green, Michael Card and others that I have played since they were young, especially this time of year. They think it's normal. Happy Resurrection Day to you, friend.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I've always loved that saying of St. Augustine since I learned it in high school, long long ago. but I've never heard the recording. I'll have to see if it's findable.

I'm so glad your daughter liked it!

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter Jodi, Mike, Bron!
Love the sequence...
You had the memory, decided to hunt the album down,found it, then shared it with the waiting bird<3.
Keith Green, Michael Card, Larry Norman (whose LP I found in a thrift shop. Radical.) One Easter morning my sister and I turned the volume way up to "Second Chapter of Acts" and ran/skipped/danced through our dining room and living rooms singing (screaming), "Quickly now, go tell his disciples that Jesus Christ is no longer dead!" It was if we had heard it proclaimed by the angels for the first time!
Joan xoxox

Lyndsay said...

Beautiful.
Happy Easter, Jodi. <3

Rae said...

Oh how I wish I could have been there with you listening to the music and remembering. I just love the things we had during our younger days. It sounds so different .Thanks Jodi for your comment about my painting. I'm always so serious about my paintings, can't quite kick the inadequacy of living with great artist family growing up. This time I am trying to relax....not there yet. Have a blessed Easter dear friend!

Michelle DeRusha said...

What a sweet tradition - I'm glad you resurrected the album to share with your daughter.

Aqeela said...

This is lovely, sounds so peaceful, xx

monix said...

Easter blessings to you and yours.
Maureen x

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Blessed Easter to you and your family, Jodi. So glad you could find that album and still be able to play it.

Dewena said...

Oh, how very lovely! Praying in Easter morning. Your own sunrise service. Life does get hectic but these simple joys help.

We just came back from visiting our youngest son and his wife and our granddaughter. Got to see her with her first Easter basket and in her Easter dress for church Sunday morning. And I left amazed at how our daughter-in-law stayed serene and kept things so simple and focused on what was really important.

Nancy said...

Because I was busy doting on that handsome grandson of mine, I didn't read this until just now.

Our Easter was so busy this year, between travel, celebration with extended family and Patrick's baptism. I just love this idea of absorbing Easter like a sponge. Love. It.

And that girl of yours? She's obviously been raised right.

Much love to you, my friend. He is risen indeed!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails