Thursday, December 5, 2013

Been Squirrely

Where did November go? Eep! Every autumn brings on squirrely behavior. So we've been busy.



The nip in the air sparks an urge to put up and put away for winter. You'd think we lived out on a remote homestead somewhere (my secret dream, although the reality of it would probably kill me). But no. I'm just a pioneer woman wannabe. Speaking of pioneers, we made a long overdue visit to our kids and grandchildren in the stunning High Plains of Texas.


It was kind of cool day-dreaming in the middle-of-nowhere prairie land, imagining covered wagons rolling by, a la Oregon Trail. Does anybody remember that video game of the same name? As I recall, the idea was you had to keep your virtual pioneer character alive as they journeyed the Oregon Trail. While visiting, I got a toothache. The left side of my face swelled twice its normal size (not pretty), and to make matters worse, there was not a dentist to be had for miles. My daughter-in-law made onion poultice, and my son medicated me with his home-brewed hard cider. I did eventually receive 21st century dental care. So I survived. Had I been an actual pioneer, I would've been buried on the side of the trail. Game over.


When I worked on an 18th century working farm museum, visitors would sometimes say, "Oh, I'd love to live that way." My answer was always, "Not if you had a toothache." Haha, my own words came back to haunt me. Anyway, all is well now. I'm safe and sound in the suburbs, sharing with you the rewards of our squirreling. A girl can pretend, can't she?

We've been:



 Saurkrauting (did I mention fermenting is my new hobby?)


 Mead brewing



Pickling


 Apple gathering


Playing dress-ups (when did my baby get taller than me?)

Learning to make Mexican chocolate from scratch, thanks to my daughter-in-law



Ordering baby chicks for spring (old photo)



Wood chopping and stacking


Putting the gardens and the beehives to bed


Best of all: Celebrating 32 years of marriage with the dearest farm-hand ever

It's been a full autumn. I'm thankful. Now onto Advent...



21 comments:

JoAnn Hallum said...

Now that I know how squirrel-ish you are I feel better about sending you nuts. :)

Linda said...

Dear Jodi,
That was a post worth waiting for. Have a wonderful December and a very merry Christmas. I know we will see each other in 2014.

Jodi said...

JoAnn, you inspired me. xD

Jodi said...

Linda, Thank you and Yes to meeting up!

Leslie said...

I remember playing Oregon Trail with Emily! We learned very quickly not to name our characters after family members, as they usually succumbed to cholera or some other trail horror, haha. Sounds like your version of pioneer realities was pretty grim for a bit too, but I'm glad you're okay now.

As for the rest of this post, it is lovely and yummy and cozy as always.

(And I loved your little story about your Irish grandma and no milk for your tea, over at my place. I ALWAYS use milk, which I guess makes me a very bad Irishman.)

Jodi said...

Les, haha good ol' Oregon Trail. My kids thought it was hilarious. Thanks for the cozy comment. :) As for my grandmother, I think she said it to annoy her English husband. They got along about as well as the Irish and English did. Oi...

Val , Kate, The Cute Kitten ,Razzy, Kepsey,Darwin ,Charon and Echo. said...

Oh Happy thirty second !!!!!!! That's Brilliant.
Gosh darn it you've been busy..I must investigate the fermenting projects as I keep reading how good it is for you.
My 12 year old is now only 1 inch shorter than me .....gulp!

Jodi said...

Val, thank you! And do the fermenting if you can. It's very easy with tasty rewards.

Brandee Shafer said...

Oh my lands. My head is swimming; I can't believe you know how to do all that stuff and actually do it. You make we want some sauerkraut, especially. Happy Anniversary; Happy Winter!

Jodi said...

Brandee, making sauerkraut is so flipping easy. and it tastes better than store bought. Try it! :)

Sara said...

Hello Jody, congratulations on 32 years of marriage! That's wonderful. You've certainly had a busy autumn.

Jodi said...

Hey Sara! thank you!

Joy Lake said...

HAHA, laughing at JoAnn's comment... yeah a toothache or a baby...

Love that Zach and Charla gave you pioneer remedies in the meantime.

Julie said...

When John and I first got married, I tried fermenting various types of pickles, but most of my experiments were epic failures. I hope you do a more detailed post on those pickles because they look delish!

BTW -- love the photo of you and B. She is getting to be so lovely, and she has the best posture! Whenever I see her, she makes me think of birch trees and willows.

Southern Gal said...

Happy anniversary! You have been busy. I love seeing how you've spent your time.

We still have the Oregon Trail game. The boys would rush through the game just so they could get to the spots to hunt. ;)

Kristi in the Western Reserve said...

Such a joy to find a new post from you, Jodi....My goodness you have been busy. I feel a little exhausted just reading about all your squirreling activities. I'm certainly glad your tooth problems are behind you. Your pickles made me especially hungry. BTW, when I make pickles, the old Hungarian lady who taught me said to put a slice of rye bread on top of everything else in the jar. Do you ever do that? I think you might make a very good pioneer, but I agree about wanting modern medical attention. And though I like to play the piano and sing, I love all the music we can listen to today and the books we can read. Life is good! Especially when celebrating a 32nd anniversary. Have a happy one!

Jodi said...

Renee, I'm glad you and Leslie remembered the game. Haha. My character would always fall off the wagon, break a bone, and die. :P

Jodi said...

Kristi, next time I do a jar of pickles, I'm definitely going to try the rye bread. I wonder if it helps in the fermentation. And it must give a good flavor.

Amy said...

Jodi! Hello:) Sounds like a wonderful autumn other than the toothache. Love all your explorations and seeing them here. A wonderful advent to you.

Jody Lee Collins said...

Jodi, your posts always make me smile.....glad you survived the toothache.
xxoo
'the Other Jody'

Connie Smiley said...

What a nice post. I'm glad your face it back. You do the most interesting things--Mexican chocolate, and I love your wood pile! Hope you're having a good weekend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails