Monday, January 13, 2014

Therein Lies the Problem

John Adair had little liking for the simple life; he said it was not simple, but the most damnably complicated method of wasting time that had every existed. He liked a constant supply of hot water, a refrigerator, an elevator, an electric toaster, a telephone beside his bed, central heating and electric fires, and anything whatever that reduced the time spent upon the practical side of living to a minimum and left him free to paint.
But Sally [his daughter] did not want to be set free for anything, for it was living itself that she enjoyed. She liked lighting a real fire of logs and fir cones, and toasting bread on an old-fashioned toaster. And she liked the lovely curve of an old staircase and the fun of running up and down it. And she vastly preferred writing a letter and walking with it to the post to using the telephone and hearing with horror her voice committing itself to things she would never have dreamed of doing if she'd had the time to think. "It's my stupid brain," she said to herself. "I like the leisurely things, and taking my time about them. That's partly why I like children so much, I think. They're never in a hurry to get on to something else.” 
― Elizabeth GoudgePilgrim's Inn











20 comments:

Jody Lee Collins said...

Jodi, I have been thinking to myself, "It's time to get another Elizabeth Goudge book" but didn't know which one to get.
Thank you for this.
Fabulous photos.

Jodi said...

Jody, Pilgrim's Inn, along with The Scent of Water, are my two favorites of Goudge's.

Southern Gal said...

I've never read anything by this author. I'm going to look her up at the library. I love these photos that go right along with the words.

Leslie said...

You store up a treasure house of goodness and then pour it all out for us here. LOVE the photos, every one.

Lucy martin said...

I love that quote!!
and that blue chair!!!really this whole thing...glad I stopped by...
I hurry too much I think.

Nancy said...

Alright. That does it. I've got to read me some Goudge :)

Loving the yellow in photo #8. Cause, you know, yellow.

Jodi said...

Hi Lucy, thank you for stopping by.

Amy said...

I own her Scent of Water and have never read it! Going to the pile now:) Love the peeks in the photos. I look at them and just think, "Yes." :)

Jodi said...

Amy, do read it! It's wonderful.

Val , Kate, The Cute Kitten ,Razzy, Kepsey,Darwin ,Charon and Echo. said...

Elizabeth Goudge sounds lovely and I've just ordered a selection of her books from the library..she sounds just right for January...Thanks for the intro Jodi.

Jodi said...

Val,yay!!! I hope you like her,please let me know. :)

Kristi in the Western Reserve said...

I haven't read Pilgrim's Inn for far too long! It's really one of her best. And The Scent of Water is another favorite of mine. I love your photographs, Jodi! You are so engaged with life!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Pilgrim's Inn was my first Goudge and like first love, is probably my favorite.

Although I love all that I have read!

Connie Smiley said...

Now that's a delightful excerpt! Might I guess that you feel a certain kinship with Sally?
Love those pictures from your world, especially the bookshelf, and the blue chair by the window, and of course, your paints.

Olivia said...

Love! Looking forward to reading that again... I love Sally. Lovely pictures too.

Sara said...

Ah, the magic of Elizabeth Goudge!

Kristi in the Western Reserve said...

Dear Jodi, Hope you're doing well with this Long Winter! Wishing you well.

Jodi said...

Kristi, yes thank you. This just happens to be the busiest winter ever. A lot of it spent behind a shovel ha ha. Hope to be back to reading blogs and writing one soon. Hope all is well with you.

Kristi in the Western Reserve said...

I am well, thanks. and very glad to hear you are and have been busy, this cold winter.

Sara said...

A lovely quote from my favorite author! I hope you are enjoying your new blog-less life and experiencing a lot of wonderful creativity in other ways! Miss you here on the blogs however.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails